Friday, March 17, 2006

If It's Not One Hiatus, It's Another...

I am on hiatus for a while since my scanlation group is having our anniversary on April 1st, so my usually nimble fingers have been Photoshop's whore for the last month and will continue to churn out the goods until after it's over.

The TV Goddess, Deann posted a comment wondering if I had seen anything new and yes I have, but not anything that is in the theatres currently.

I did rent Lord of War and if you like movies that are based on things that have really happened (and still might be occurring) then this flick is for you.

I really haven't been able to stand Nicholas Cage for about 10 years now, but with Jared Leto and Ethan Hawke (who irritates me, as well) co-starring, renting this great DVD was worth getting over my pet peeves for an hour or so.



Per IMDB.com, quick outline of the story:

"This film charts the rise and fall of Yuri Orlov, from his early days in the early 1980s in Little Odessa, selling guns to mobsters in his local neighbourhood, through to his ascension through the decade of excess and indulgence into the early 90s, where he forms a business partnership with an African warlord and his psychotic son. The film also charts his relationship through the years with his younger brother, his marriage to a famous model, his relentless pursuit by a determined federal agent and his inner demons that sway between his drive for success and
the immorality of what he does."


In closing, I have to say my favorite character (although obviously quite insane) was Eamonn Walker's (of HBO cable show OZ fame) character, Andre Baptiste Sr., the warlord leader of Liberia at the time.

He cast quite the evil dictator with the rye humour of a sadist on vacation at a turkish prison, perhaps.

Anyway, to answer Deann's other part of her question about post-oscar stuffis, I thought Jon Stewart was fantastic but knowing that they probably will never have him back is enough for me to never care about the Oscars again.

Although, choosing "Crash" as Best Picture, left me surprised and full of hope.

I also saw Ultraviolet, but it didn't live up to my expectations at all, so I'm not even going to bother with a review.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home